|My name is Jon Garfield. Thank you for your interest in me and my Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Mixed Martial Arts program.
I started my martial arts training in Tae Kwon Do at age 11 in Columbus, GA. I stopped training in Tae Kwon Do at 14 when my family moved from Columbus, GA to Harmans MD.
At age 17, I began training in boxing. During my stint in boxing, I competed as an open class amateur and in numerous Golden Glove events.
In 1993, I began training in Jeet Kon Do. During this training, I was introduced to the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. At which time, I didnt know what Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu was. I was given a tape of the first Ultimate Fighting Challenge. Through Royce Gracie, I saw the effectiveness of the art. That sparked an interst in learning more about the art. I found a small club in the area and began learning the basics of BJJ.
In 1997, I enlisted into the United States Air Force as a Security Forces member (Military Police). At the completion of my SF training, I was recognized as a Distinguished Graduate.
Here is a list of some of my military accomplishment/duties:
- Jan 2000 - Squadron SF member of the year for '99
- April 2000 - Graduated from Raven School (Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection Training)
- Dec 2000 - Squadron SF Airman of the year
- Sept 2001 - Deployed to Incirlik AB, Turkey in support of Operation Enduring Freedom
- Mar 2002 - Deployed to Diego Garcia in support of Operation Enduring Freedom
- Nov 2002 - Deployed to an undisclosed location in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom
- Aug 2003 - Graduated from High Risk Entry School taught by Baltimore County Police S.W.A.T.
- Apr 2004 - Graduated from Baton and Pepper Spray instructor certification course.
Here is a list of countries I have visited:
I am currently a member of the 175th Security Forces Squadron assigned to training. In training, I teach Army Combatives, Use of Force, Searching and Handcuffing, Physical Apprehension and Restraint techniques, Weapon Retention, Baton, Pepper Spray, and Self Defense.
While deployed, I studied Sambo for just short of a year.
In February 2007, I was promoted to black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I was also promoted to 1st Degree Black Belt belt in August 2010. I continue to further my Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu advancement by training with Professor Pedro Sauer and traveling to Brazil several times a year.
Thank you for your time.